Learning to be still and quiet with God...

I have been a Christian since I was 4. I grew up in the church and loved it. Unfortunately, rebellion crept into my life throughout high school and then in my 20's. I was back and forth, church and the world. When I was 29 I found out I was pregnant with my son, James. I was unmarried and trying to do God's will in my life, while also thinking I could "handle" the temptations of the world. I was sorrily mistaken. When I found out I was having a baby, I was confused and frustrated and completely freaked out! What I didn't know then, and what I understand now, is that God had a plan. He had a plan for my life, a plan for me to prosper and not to be harmed.

After James was born I was home alone with my newborn baby boy every day. As some of you know it's the most precious time between a mother and her child. I would hold him when he was sleeping and caress him when he was nursing. I loved having James and being a mother. What I did not like was the relationship I was in, and the way my life was going. I had already come back to the Lord prior to getting pregnant and rededicated my life, but something was missing. What would make a Christian woman allow herself to be in compromising positions with a non-christian man? After I had James, by the grace and mercy of God, I found out. It was my lack of relationship with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

While staying at home every day, without a car, without friends, and without my family; I realized while nursing James, that God was calling me into relationship with Him. He wanted me to come to Him, rely on Him, and get to know Him. Little did I know, He wanted to know me too. Something profound hit me that day. God told me to grab the Bible before sitting down and nursing James. He wanted me to use the quiet time while James was eating to draw me closer into His arms.

My life has never been the same. Because nursing James was an every other hour event, and most of the time took at least 30 minutes, I had plenty of time to spend with God. I was in His presence all day, every day. Nothing has changed my life more, or made it more significant. Spending time with God was all He was asking of me, and was all I could do! And now I understand, that it is all that matters.

Spending time with God is the hardest thing to do when you are not used to it, and it is the MOST necessary thing we can ever do. When you spend time with God, you get a fresh perspective. You receive His wisdom, His understanding, His blessings, and His favor. Spending time with God allows Him to change you from the inside out. It allows your mind to concentrate on the important things in life, and see the world through His eyes. No longer does a cell phone, computer, TV, radio, or any other noisy device become important. What is more important that knowing the God who created you more?

We all have distractions, families, needs, etc., but God is calling you into relationship with Him. He is calling you to know Him more, so He can use you for His divine purposes. I don't about you, but I want to be used for His will.

I encourage you to take time out for God. Get quiet with Him, and let Him speak into your life. God loves you, and wants to know you. He desires for you to spend time with Him. I guarantee if you take the time to spend with Him, you will not be disappointed. I know God has changed me and is still changing me, from the inside out. If you want to make a difference in the world, and in your life, spend time with God.

I hope this blesses you. It has made a profound impact on my life, and I hope it does in yours.

Blessings,
Cortnee :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

twitstamp.com