Continuing with Christ

Good morning! I hope you are having a great Saturday. I woke up this morning to my son bringing me his toddler Bible. He said he wanted to read me something. When he opened it up he said "Jesus died on the cross...and rose again." And looked at me and smiled. It was the cutest, most precious thing I have ever seen.

Well, onto my thoughts this morning. Since I was so struck yesterday with Hebrews 4, I decided to continue there. I went on to read the last few verses in the chapter. This is what they said:


"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
Hebrews 4:15,16

So here it is. The final piece to yesterday's story. Not only are we to find rest in the Lord, but before we do, we are told to bring our cares and concerns to Jesus. Not casually, or carelessly, but with confidence! We are to come bold to the throne! That means we let Jesus know exactly what is going on with us. It means we can cry, laugh, mourn, hurt, be frustrated, confused, exhausted with Him. We can let our hair down and relax our thoughts and emotions at the feet of our intercessor.

The most interesting and wonderful part of these verses, for me, was about receiving mercy and finding grace to help us in our time of need. Ok, let me break it down for you. First we can receive mercy. This is great, this means it's something we can accept. It's something that Jesus can give us just for coming to Him. Wow, if we don't come to Him, we can't receive anything!! Next what we are receiving is mercy. Mercy is compassion. Don't we all need compassion? I don't know about you but this world is jaded, my family is jaded, and my friends are too! A bible commentary I read this morning states: "(literally, fellow feeling from community of suffering)." You know what that means right? It means that since we are approaching the throne, Jesus, He knows what we are going through because he has suffered as if in a community tragedy. Jesus understands what you are going through because HE HIMSELF went through it too! Wow.

So here we are, at the feet of Jesus, our intercessor, our High Priest, who not only KNOWS what we went through because He went through it too, but is able to intercede on our behalf with God the Father. Wow. It's like having a lawyer defend you for a crime you didn't commit, and the lawyer, personally having gone through the tragedy himself, defends you! Let that soak in a minute. I have someone on my side that knows PERSONALLY what I am going through. Don't you think when they are talking to the judge they will be passionate about your case? Don't you think that they will fight tooth and nail for you? Or nail and cross for you? So what we learn is: "Mercy especially refers to the remission and removal of sins." So the lawyer, Jesus, goes in front of the judge, God the Father, and says: "Lord, Lord, this person is innocent! I declare this person clean and holy! Nothing can touch them!" Wow - Jesus is so cool!

Here's where it gets better. The next thing we find at the Throne of Grace is grace itself. Again, in the Bible commentary it says: "grace, to the saving bestowal of spiritual gifts." Ok - so picture it with me again, Jesus in court, in front of the Judge and says: "And not only that Lord, but I request that this person be given back everything you have given them. I request that their life be restored spiritually." Amazing. So we get our sins taken away, washed clean BECAUSE of Christ, and then He says, that's not enough, give them back their gifts, their spiritual fervor for you! So amazing!

Ok - we are almost done. And this is my FAVORITE part - the part that struck me right where I was all last week. Right in the middle of my pain and suffering...
"to help us in our time of need." Ok - so this is the part I like because it isn't conditional. This part says WHENEVER you need it! Whenever your life sucks, whenever your hurt makes you want to hurt, whenever you feel hopeless, frustrated, angry, disappointed! The Bible commentary says about help in our time of need: "Before we are overwhelmed by the temptation; when we most need it, in temptations and persecutions; such as is suitable to the time, persons. A supply of grace is in store for believers against all exigencies; but they are only supplied with it according as the need arises...that is, to-day, while it is yet open to us. He is able to succor them that are tempted."

Succor...

NOUN:

  1. Assistance in time of distress; relief.
  2. One that affords assistance or relief.
Selah...pause and think of that!!

Wow - so again, back at the courtroom...Jesus continues: "And Lord, as it pleases You, I would like to add that this person be able to come to the court at ANY time. Any time they need assistance in a time of distress, anytime they need RELIEF! I request that they be able to come to the court, with me, and address their needs and concerns, and ask for assistance and relief! Wow!! If you don't get it, I will be praying for you :)

In case you need more, I will recap...We have an open throne, a way to get to that throne of grace where God can restore our faith, remove our sins, and relieve our distresses...TODAY, as the need arises, while it is open for us, because He used His Son to take on your sins and hurts and pain, so that He now knows what you are going through, and can have compassion on you! But guess what? It all depends on you! It all depends on whether you are willing to humble yourself, go to the feet of Jesus, ask and RECEIVE!

WOW! I hope this becomes a revelation in your life! I know it has in mine. I love that Jesus understands me and wants the BEST for me. I love that God is so creative that He knew exactly what we needed in our sinful flesh, and allows us to come to Him anytime, through Christ, because of His community suffering!!

I love you and I hope you have a fabulous weekend! Spend some time thanking Jesus for what He died for you! It will turn your mourning into Joy, and your disappointments into Thanksgiving!

Praise be to you Lord, my God, my Refuge and my Strength. Thank you for your awesomeness and power! Thank you for your Words that speak to our hearts~

Blessings,
Cortnee :)

(please see the links above to access the Bible commentaries and verses)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

twitstamp.com